Thinclads Defeat High Flying Eagles

By E.l. Dionne

The Eagles of Boston College were flying high last night at the Bubble, but they didn't quite fly high enough. The Harvard track team defeated B.C. 65-53, in what was clearly the most exciting meet of the season.

Harvard won the sub varsity race in a landslide 89-12.

"I liked what I saw," said a happy assistant coach Ed Stowell after the meet. "Everybody was out there working, and, that was a hard thing to do after the big" victory over Army."

Work they did, and the Eagles were intent on making them work hander. The much improved Eagles took first place in the mile the 60-yard dash, the long jump and the triple jump. But the Crimson responded in kind, with best performances--including new faculty record--abounding.

The record was broken by Dewey Hickman, who ran the high hurdles in 7.3 seconds. He was followed by two Eagles Dan Mahoney and Jim McVane.

Jay Hughes turned in his career best in the shot put, hurling the little ball 52` 1 2". Houghes was hot last night four of his losses were better than any he had ever made. In addition," he won the 35-pound weight throw in 56' 7". Harvard took second in the weight with Steve Niemi in 50' 1".

The best face all night was the two-mile in which freshman Bill Durrette broke his personal record in 9:04.1. His win put the meet on ice for Harvard. B.C's Charlie Diehl took second with a run of 9:06.4.

Marsh Jones led off the race, running a torrid pace. At one point, he was almost half a lap ahead. Jimmy Keefe ran second to Jones, with Durrette in third.

At about the one and one-quarter mark, Keefe passed "Jones, as did Durrette. The two Crimson runners stayed well ahead for a while, but were soon passed by Dieff. Then, with two laps to go, Durrette passed Diehl, and for the rest of the race they exchanged leads. In the last half lap Durrette went ahead to stay.

Keefe finished third in 9:18.3.

Another personal best was turned in by another freshman, Mel Embree won the high jump in 6'8 1 4". Bill Bihrle took third for the Crimson in 6'2". Harvard also on the 600, as Nick Leone finished in 1:1.

The mile was much slower than expected as co-captain John Quirk lost a heartbreaker to long-time rival Jim McDonald. McDonald ran 4:16.8. Quirk, 4:16.9.