Tough Words For Afro And the CRR

FACULTY:

By Daniel Swanson

Two of this Fall's thorniest issues came to a head at this week's Faculty meeting.

Debate on the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities and the Afro-American Studies Department, up to now confined primarily to speeches, statements and reports, came into an open forum as Faculty members representing widely divergent opinions on the two issues unburdened themselves of their thoughts.

Debate concerning the CRR had, up to last week, been joined by a group of liberal Faculty and students who sought substantial reforms in the Committee's structures and operation. Three of the six speakers at last week's meeting represented this position.

But the liberal assault has provoked a conservative backlash, and three speakers introduced this position into the debate. One of them, James Q. Wilson, professor of Government, told the Faculty that the University is endangered by disruption.

"The rights of all of us to teach and do research are in jeopardy." Wilson said. He joined the other conservatives in calling for minor revisions in the CRR, but warned the Faculty to be wary of major changes that might permit disruptions to go unpunished.

The opening shots were also fired In what promises to be a bitter debate over the future of the Afro-American Studies Department. H Stuart Hughes, Gurney Professor of History and Political Science, told the Faculty that on behalf of the Faculty Council he plans to introduce legislation calling for substantial changes in the Department's structure.

Ewart Guinier '33, chairman of the Department, then responded heatedly to Hughes's speech. In a strongly-worded speech, he warned the Faculty that his Department would not permit itself to be made "a stepchild of the University."

There was a bitter exchange during Guinier's presentation. He told the Faculty that the seven black members of the Review Committee--which released a detailed report on the Department last month--had a "white or European perspective."

One of the seven. Walter J. Leonard, special assistant to President Bok and secretary of the Committee, then called out twice, "That's a damn lie."

Debates on both the CRR and Afro are scheduled to continue at the Faculty's next meeting, slated for January 16.