Frosh Icemen Top Boston St.; As Cagers Crush Holy Cross

Harvard freshmen chalked up two convincing victories yesterday in contests at Watson Rink and the IAB. The frosh icemen skated to an 8-5 victory over Boston State College while the Crimson cagers came from behind to top the Crusaders of Holy Cross. 80-67.

A hat trick by wingman Paul Haley sparked the Harvard pucksters to their win over a surprisingly tough Boston State squad. Haley deked the State goalie and flipped the puck by him for the first Harvard tally at 4:23 of the first period.

Center Kevin Carr slipped the puck out of a face-off-to wingman Phelps Swift who shot, hit the post and fired in his own rebound for the second Crimson goal of the period at 16:26. Peter Owen, brother of former Harvard star "Coach" Owen '71, accounted for the third score on a breakaway less than thirty seconds later to make it 3-0.

Boston State came back with two tallies within a minute of each other and narrowed the Harvard margin to one as the period closed.

Dominate

Center Kevin Burke scored twice in the second period, once unassisted with the Crimson a man down, and Nick Bothfield beat the State goalie once as Harvard continued to dominate.

But Boston State capitalized on Crimson defensive lapses for two goals in the second period and kept the game tight at 6-4 going into the final frame.

In the IAB. Holy Cross harried the Crimson netmen with a tough full-court press and good outside shooting to dominate early play. Behind by as much as eight at one point. Harvard rallied and closed the Crusader margin to three at the half. 35-32.

The Crimson came out of the dressing room running for the second half and never quit. The Crusaders scored bucket for bucket for a few minutes but could not keep the pace and Harvard went ahead to stay at 4:00 of the half.

Harvard center Miliufi Hanneman was high for the game with 22 points, followed closely by Crimson guard Kevin McLaughlin at 20. Hanneman and forward Bill Carey controlled the boards well for the Crimson, dragging down a total of 34 rebounds. It was the third win for the cagers, who have only lost once.