Bernstein Will Offer Preview Concert To Harvard Community At Low Cost

President Bok announced yesterday that Leonard Bernstein '39. Norton Professor of Poetry has offered members of the Harvard community the chance to see a restricted preview concert of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony at low cost.

The performance, by the Boston Symphony Orchestra conducted by Bernstein is set for December 14, in Symphony Hall.

Eliot Forbes '40, chairman of the Music Department, called Bernstein's action a unique gesture very much in keeping with the Norton chair presence of the man."

Forbes said yesterday that Bernstein had agreed to lead the orchestra when conductor William Steinberg tell ill. In order to do so. Bernstein had cancelled an Eliot House dinner in his honor. To make up for his absence, he arranged the "Special Preview Concert for the Harvard Community." Forbes said.

Tickets, to be said inter at the Holyoke Center, and the Coop, will cost 50 cents. Ticket sales will cover the cost of accommodating the audience.