Cagers Roll Over Springfield, 122-98, Control Boards on Strong Rebounding

The basketball team evened his record at 1-1 last night with a 122-98 victory over Springfield.

Taking advantage of their superior height advantage, the Crimson out-rebounded the Chiefs, 54-24. Dominating both-backboards, Harvard often got three and four shots at the keep.

Tony Jeakins led the Harvard endought scoring 25 points and hauling in 12 rebounds. Jim Fitsimmons threw in 19 and Ployd Lewis added 17. The Crimson's fast break shifted into high score in the second half as the squad poured in a phonamonal 67 points.

6 Ft. 8 In.

Springfield was led by forward Ken Lewis who threw in 34 points. Lewis shot consistently all night from the inside, converting on 16 of 25 shots.

The Chists opened up on early 10-3 lead as Harvard played sloppy ball in the early going. Coach Bob Harrison took a time out and immediately thereafter Harvard began scoring against the posky Springfield zone defense. Led by James Brown, Jenkins and Fitsimmons, the Crimson opened up a 43-34 lead with 4:57 remaining. Ken Lewis held the Chiets in the ballgame during this period, scoring against anyone Harvard put on him. Springfield came back to out the lead to 26-49 at the half.

During the intermission, Harrison told the team how to defense the Springfield patterns and he must have said something right as Harvard quickly jumped out to a 13-point lead after seven minutes of play. The Crimson gradually increased their margin, opening up a 98-75 lead with six minutes to go in the contest. Harvard then scored to its eventual 24-point vistory, as Harrison substituted liberally.

Springfield coach Ed Duik called the Crimson "awesome" after the game. He said that his team was outmanned under the boards and added that he expected Harvard to be a contender for the Ivy League title.

Harrison said that he was pleased with the just that Harvard had 23 assists and had shot 54 per cent from the field.

During the game, the Crimson again had a high number of turnovers. Against the Chiets they had 34. Last Saturday at Indians, the Crimson committed 38. Harrison said that because of the high number of fast breaks in the game and the amount of points scored, he expected his team to make a lot of turnovers.

Discipline

"When we play teams with a more disciplined style of play. I'm were we'll cut down on our errors." Harrison said.

The Crimson had a balanced scoring attack as six men hit in double "figures. Joining Jenkins, Fitzsimmons and Ployd Lewis in this group were Lou Silver, Brown and Marshall Sagders who threw in 15, 16 and 11 respectively. Silver made a strong showing in his first varsity performance, hitting 7 of 13 shots.

Harvard's next game in at Boston University next Wednesday night.