The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Controversy Persists at Tufts Over Sex Discrimination Case

A female assistant professor has filed a sex discrimination charge against Tufts University.

Christiane G. Joost, an assistant professor of Fine Arts at Tufts and a graduate student at Harvard, notified the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission that she had been dismissed from the Tufts faculty for "political reasons."

Joost was informed last August that her contract would not be renewed. She said yesterday that the administration refused to give her a reason for the dismissal.

"The Tufts administration is corrupt. It's a club of some not-so-well-intended men who want to perpetuate a level of mediocrity among the faculty." Joost said yesterday.

University officials have refused to divulge the reasons for Joost's dismissal saying that personnel cases are never discussed.

Problems

Joost said that former Fine Arts chairman, Ivan R. Galantic, was at the root of her problems. "He's emotionally incapable of relating to women on a rational level," she said.

Galentic said yesterday that he prefers not to comment on Joost's charges until the EEOG investigation has been completed.

The EEOC has been investigating Joost's allegations over the last three weeks but no date has been set for the results of the inquiry. If the results are in Joost's favor. Tufts will have the option of rehiring her or submitting the case to a Federal arbitrator.