Radcliffe Team Wins 4 Relays At Wellesley Swimming Event

The Radcliffe swim team won four out of eight events and placed first overall in unofficial scoring at the second annual Mass Memorial Relays held Wednesday night at Wellesley College.

Eighteen teams from colleges in the Greater Boston area participated in the season opener which is named for the original custodian of the Wellesley College swimming pool.

Radcliffe improved its times over last year in all eight events. The team took first places in the 250-yard ladder freestyle relay, the 100-yard ladder butterfly relay, and the 200-yard freestyle relay. The team of Nancy Sato and Diane Gilligan gave Radcliffe a fourth win in the diving relay.

Despite its improved times however, the team came in second in three events and fifth in the last event. The Radcliffe swimmers lost the 150-yard backstroke relay to Wheaton and the 200-yard individual medley relay to UMass in very close contests.

The team also placed second behind Mount Holyoke, the second highest scorer at the meet, in the 150-yard breast stroke relay, and placed fifth in the 200-yard medley relay, won by B.U.

Captain Connie Cervilla and last year's captain Roann Costin put in exceptional performances, Sandy Wallace, student head of swimming, said yesterday. Costin swam six events instead of the usual fout and Cervilla brought Radcliffe from behind in an exciting 250-yard ladder freestyle relay, sh.

Wallace said that the meet, which has no individual events, is not used officially for rating teams. Its purpose is to "give the teams an idea of their relative strengths," she said.