Henry the K. Ponders Life in Academia

FACULTY:

By Daniel Swanson

Henry A. Kissinger's days in the White House are not yet over.

President Nixon announced last weekend that Kissinger would continue to serve as his national security adviser, thus laying to rest rumors that Kissinger would return to Harvard in the near future.

The announcement, however, did not foreclose the possibility that Kissinger might come back to Cambridge eventually, perhaps after Indochina peace negotiations are concluded.

James O. Wilson, chairman of the Government Department, has been attempting to ascertain Kissinger's future plans ever since the Nixon landslide, Kissinger resigned his position as professor of Government in 1971, but the post has remained open according to the terms of an agreement reached at that time between Kissinger and the Department.

The Department said it would review the agreement after Richard Nixon's first term in office.

Wilson met with Kissinger two weeks ago and plans to meet with him again in the near future. If be discovers the national security adviser plans to remain in the Administration for some time to come, the Department will probably fill his post, Wilson explained.

Wilson said Kissinger's role as architect for the Nixon Administration's Indochina policy "does not play any part" in the Department's decision. "The overiding consideration here is whether he can contribute intellectually to the University," he said.