Icemen Face Unbeaten Penn In First Ivy-League Contest

By Elizabeth P. Eggert

The varsity hockey team meets its first Ivy League opponent of the season tonight when the Crimson faces off against the University of Pennsylvania at 7:30 p.m. in Watson Risk.

The Quakers hold a 5-0 record going into the contest. Earlier this season Penn downed Northeastern, Colgate and St. Anselm's each by two goals, trounced Merrimac, 7-1, and edged RPI, 3-2.

Seventeen lettermen have returned from last year's 15-9 squad, which was coached by Jim Salvi. Salvi went to RPI at the end of last season, leaving his successor, Bob Crocker, with a team of Canadian recruits.

The Quakers' first three lines and first two sets of defense boast nine icemen from Ontario and three from Quebec. Second-time wing John Harwood and goalie Tim McQuiston are the only Americans who see action regularly.

Penn's three leading scorers -- seniors Bob Read, Dietrich Gyetko and Bill MacDonnell -- make up the first line Read and Gyetko, who played together on the first line last year, have each earned ten points, while MacDonnell has collected five goals and four assists.

On second time junior Bernard Latrancois centers for classmate Harwood on right wing and newcomer Bruce Craig, who has moved up from last year's 6-6 freshman team to play on the left. Harwood led Penn in scoring in Ivy League games last year with 11 goals and 12 assists.

The third line consists of senior Paul Daigle, junior Gordon Halliday and sophomore Francis McKay. Crocker, like Cleary, has played a fourth line on occasion.

Senior Peter McNamee leads Penn's defensemen in scoring with two goals and two assists. McNamee pairs with classmate Mike Hubbert on first defense, while Tim Nicholls and Ray Lalonde make up the second unit.

Tim McQuiston starts in the nets, having earned a 1-9 goals-against average so far this season with a save average of 91 per cent. Last year McQuiston had a 4-3 goals-against average as the second string goalie, backing up John Marks, who graduated last spring.

Harvard's lineup remains unchanged from last Wednesday's 6-5 win over Boston University, except that Dave Hands will be the fifth defenseman in place of Levy Byrd.

The 'Local Line' of Bob McManama, Dave Hynes and Bill Corkery remains the high-scoring line with 25 points in only two games. Hynes has tallied twice and assisted seven times for nine points, while McManama and Corkery have earned eight points apiece.

One problem which Harvard has faced in its first two games is the high number of penalties called on Crimson icemen. In the B.U. game Harvard received 13 penalties, three of which went to senior defenseman Doug Elliott.

Elliott has racked up over 140 minutes in the box since joining the varsity his sophomore year, and he is fast closing in on the New England career record set more than a decade ago by Dartmouth's Dusty Ingersoll.

Last December Harvard trounced the Quakers, 11-3, but Penn came back later in the winter to shade the Crimson, 3-2, in Cambridge winning in Watson Rink for the first time ever.

"Penn will be one of the toughest teams we play." Harvard coach Rill Cleary said yesterday. Cleary added that he hoped the ice would be faster than on Wednesday night, when fog settled over B.U.'s Walter Brown Memorial Rink like a smoke screen.