Matmen Grab Cornell, UMass In Triangular Meeting Today

The Harvard varsity wrestlers, launching their Ivy League title campaign, need wins in crucial light weight divisions to overcome Cornell in a triangular meet at soon today in the IAB.

The UMass Minutemen join the battle and should hit Harvard and the Big Red with strongmen in the 158, 167, 190 and unlimited divisions. The Ivy League contest precedes the Cornell-UMass and Harvard-UMass battles.

"There's no doubt about it, we have to get off to a good start against both teams in lightweights if we expect to pull off any victories," Harvard coach John Lee said yesterday. "I can't make any predictions because there are a lot of uncertainties.

Powerhouse

The Crimson's 134-pound powerhouse Carl Biello, who injured his shoulder last month, may appear in the Cornell tangle. "He'll probably suit up, but I won't know until the minute before the match if he's going to wrestle," Lee said.

Should Biello wrestle, he will tackle only the Big Red entry. Freshman Bill Haley, who usually wrestles at 126, battles the UMass foe at 134 and will standby to take Biello's place against Cornell.

Freshman Mitch Silverman, the second-ranked New York state grappler at 126, will fill Haley's spot against both Cornell and UMass. George Baker (142) and Mike Dee (150) can rebound from last week's losses to B.U. if they keep calm and confident during their matches. "If these guys perform as well as I know they can, we can take those important lower weight matches," Lee said.

Harvard hits the opposition with Bruce Johnson and Jim Strathmeyer, both of whom won impressive matches against B.U. at 167 and 177. Cornell and UMass wield power at 158 and should overwhelm the Crimson's Rock Hinkle, who suffered a 6-1 drubbing by B.U. John Keough (167) splits duties with Johnson and tackles UMass.

Grappling veterans Dan Blakinger (118) and Richie Starr (190) should notch solid wins against both opposition. Crimson starter Paul Dowling (unlimited) may be absent due to National Guard duty, so Carl Culig will be ready to wrestle in his place.