Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square

107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

Citing Toxic Culture and Administrator Departures, Harvard School of Public Health Faculty Repeatedly Weighed Voting No Confidence in Dean

Elizabeth Wurtzel ’89, Who Collected Friends ‘Like Beads on a String,’ Dies at 52

Multimedia

The Photos That Captured the 2010s

Ed School Has New Library

The Monroe C. Gutman Library of the Graduate School of Education opened Monday, bringing together for the first time in 52 years most of Harvard's previously scattered collection for the study of education.

The School of Education is the last school in the University to have its own library building.

The building is named after Monroe C. Gutman '05, a New York investment banker and philanthropist who has long been a generous supporter of Harvard.

The library's capacity is 300,000 volumes although it currently holds only one-third that many. The building also houses 200 motion pictures, the largest collection anywhere in the University.

The 36.1 million construction fund was completed before the groundbreaking in February, 1970. Since no money could be diverted from the library to other projects, it was spared the full force of the University's financial pinch.

The building contract--awared to the Jackson Construction Company of Needham--included assurances of equal employment opportunities for black and other minority workers.

The funds for the overhead and maintenance costs are coming from the unrestricted budget of the School of Education. However, Theodore R. Sizer, dean of the Faculty of Education, will attempt to raise 35 million extra for faculty endowments and maintenance.

Gutman Library is open to all students and staff of the University.