Cox Made Counsel On Judges' Case

Archibald Cox '34, Williston Professor of Law, was appointed counsel last Wednesday for the special Massachusetts legislative committee investigating the cases of Judges DeSalunier and Brogna.

DeSalunier was disbarred by the Supreme Judicial Court and Brogna censured, following an investigation of their roles in the 1962 stock swindle involving Michael J. Raymond.

Senator Joseph D. Ward (D-Fitchburg) headed the subcommittee which interviewed more than 30 lawyers over the past three weeks in search for a counsel, before deciding on Cox.

"We wanted an attorney of broad experience, an attorney who had definite sensitivity for the historical and constitutional matters involved," Ward said yesterday.

"Our assignment was to select a counsel in a matter concerning not only the career of justice of our Superior Court, but also involving constitutional issues," he continued. "The removal of a superior court judge must take place through Address or Impeachment. In either case, a vote of the Legislature is required."

Ward said that the subcommittee was most impressed by the experience Cox had as solicitor general of the United States and by his early display of intellectual capability. (Cox served as clerk to Judge Learner Hand upon his graduation from Law school.)

"We were affected by the fact that the Williston chair at Harvard involved the teaching of constitutional law," Ward added.

Cox said yesterday, "I think they (the investigating committee) have a highly difficult and responsible assignment. I'm very glad to help if I can."