Thinclads Face Big Fight in GBC's Friday

By E. J. Dionne

The Greater Boston Track Championships will be held this Friday and Saturday, and Harvard could face a tough fight with the team that beat them last time out, Northeastern.

The Huskies will be among the six teams the Crimson will have to beat to retain the championship. Also running are Brandeis, Tufts, MIT, Boston College and Boston University.

Tufts is also expected to give Harvard some trouble. Dan "Benign Neglect" Moynihan is a threat in the 880, mile and two mile run. Dan Ryan, the Jumbos miler, ran a 4:06 last year and may be back, although he is reportedly just getting into shape.

The Crimson will have a strong two mile squad with Ric Rojas, Mike Koerner and Fred Linsk. All have been running very well over the last two weeks, and could easily break nine minutes this weekend.

Northeastern's Billy Rowe--who was once told he'd never run track again--could make a race of it. But in the Harvard meet, which Northeastern took 61-48, Koerner and Rojas overwhelmed the Northeastern junior.

Crimson shot putter Joe Naughton, and 35-pound weight man Jay Hughes could also have a tough time. Boston College's Francis X. "Mickey" McQuade has been strong all season, and the Northeastern weight squad swept these events against Harvard.

In the 600, Nick Leone could be running alone against Northeastern's Paul Horrigan, who has beaten him once. And Leone, who has been injured, may not be able to run at all.

Jere Hines may be going it alone for the Crimson in the 880, but John Quirk and Mark Connolly appear to have the edge in the mile.