Bridge Players Slam Prevoir Team

Gather Trump for Fourth Round Match

A team of undergraduate bridge players trounced a seasoned squad lead by Life Master Robert Prevoir of Winthrop to remain undefeated in the Eastern Massachusetts Bridge Association Home KO Team Competition.

Winning the 26-board match on Monday, the Harvard players secured a place in the fourth round of the tournament which began in early January and will continue until late spring.

The six man team of John Lusky (capt.) '73, Arthur Weiss '73, Robert McCaw '73, Jeffrey Klemm '72, Michael Goldman '73 and Daniel Raider '73, maintained its second seed position as a result of the 69-20 victory over the Prevoir team.

The Harvard team jumped to an early 22 International Match Points (IMP) lead in the first third of the match, largely due to a brilliant 13 IMP double game swing in the first hand of play. After that point, the losers never seriously threatened the Harvard team in their 69-20 win.

"Despite our high seed in the tournament," Captain Lusky said after the match, "we were concerned about the great advantage in experience held by the Prevoir team, and we were very pleased to win."

Goldman said that the team has only been playing together this year and has not as yet had much previous tournament experience.

The Prevoir team entered the tournament with a total of about 500 Master points whereas the Harvard team totals only 90. This is one indicator of the previous experience of the Prevoir team since Master points are awarded cumulatively to individuals for wins in recognized duplicate bridge tournaments.

Goldman remarked that although the team has been playing well, they have been quite lucky.

The Harvard team will meet their next opponent within two weeks. As yet the Harvard team has no scouting information about their upcoming opponents, the Thompson team.

Although the team hopes to win this tournament they have no definite plans for future tournaments. Goldman said that team strength will be somewhat weakened since one team member will be leaving Harvard this semester.