Kent State Leads in NCAA's; Villanova, Quakers Favored

By E.j. Dionne

Kent State moved into a team scoring lead yesterday afternoon in the first round of the NCAA indoor track championships in Detroit.

Jacques Accambray, Kent State's "Grand Charles" from France, shattered the meet 35 lb, weight throw record yesterday by almost 3 ft., posting a winning mark of 71 ft. 3 in.

The second round of the meet ended late last night. The two-day meet concludes this afternoon with ten finals.

Accambray, NCAA and French hammer throw champ, dethrowned teammate A1 Schoterman, who placed with 69 ft. 5 3/4 in. This reversed the weight throw finish of last year's meet, when Schoterman set the old record of 68 ft. 10 1/4 in. and Accambray was the runnerup.

Despite Kent's strong start, the favorites in the meet are traditional track powers Villanova and Pennsylvania. Villanova is seeking revenge for a one point loss to Penn in the IC4A's last weekend.

Harvard took 20th place in the meet.

The Wildcats--who won last year with a total of 22 points--and the Quakers will have to withstand challenges of Southern California, Texas El Paso, and possibly Michigan State, in order to bring the crown back to the City of Brotherly Love.

Southern California's chances were dealt a serious blow yesterday when favored Trojan Edesel Garrison failed to qualify for Friday night's 440 dash. Garrison, who ran a 45.7 in Houston's Astrodome early in February, won his heat, but apparently misjudged his pace and wound up with a slow 50.2.

Villanova's strength is concentrated in such running events as the 600 yd, run, the distance medley relay, the two mile, and the 880, in which Brian McElroy is expected to be strong.

Pole vaulter Tom Blair, who has cleared 17 ft, 3 1/2 in., and sophomore hurdler Bruce Collins are two of Penn's standouts.

Collins didn't win in the IC4A's, but he piled up points by running ten races in one day.

Michigan's title hopes lie with two world record holders. Herb Washington and Marshall Dill, plus an excellent mile relay team.

Villanova has won twice during the seven years since the indoor meet moved to Detroit. Kansas has won three titles, while Missouri and Southern Cal have each taken one.