Tigers Lead Easterns; Harvard Fifth

By Charles B. Straus, (Special to the Crimson)

NEW HAVEN, CONN,--First-day leader Princeton, despite a strong showing by Yale, the host school, retained the lead after the completion of the second day's competition at the Eastern Seaboard Championships. Harvard remained in fifth, holding a slim lead over sixth place North Carolina.

Last night, like Thursday, it was the Tigers who won most of the races and set all the meet records. They shattered three meet records, and on the first day broke two other Eastern standards. Harvard records continued to fall as well, as the Crimson bettered three marks yesterday after setting two new records on Thursday.

The standings of the top five teams remained unchanged, although Princeton's lead over second-place Yale dwindled to a mere 13 points. The Tigers added 117 points yesterday for a two day total of 225. Runner up Yale now has 212, with the other teams well back. Defending champion Penn appears out of contention with 164 points, with Dartmouth fourth with 129, and Harvard one point shy of the hundred mark with 99.

The first event of the evening proved to be another good one for the Crimson. Dave Brumwell who on Thursday took a ninth in the 200-yard individual medley and set a new Harvard record in the event, added a sixth in the 400-yard IM. Dropping over two seconds from his time in the afternoon preliminary. Brumwell, a freshman and a member of the 1971 Canadian Pan-American team, set another Harvard record. He swam the grueling race in 4:16.994 bettering Steve Krause's record by over a second.

In the final of the 200-yard freestyle. Harvard's Fred Mittchell, a favorite in the race and the second fastest qualifier, finished a disappointing fifth. Charley Campbell, of Princeton, who with teammate Curtis Haydon, has lead the Tiger assault on the record book, took first in a meet record time of 1:42.129. His time broke the 1:42.4 standard of legendary Yale great Don Schollander.

Mittchell, who owns the Harvard record in the event, salvaged the day by breaking his own record in the afternoon heats, swimming a fast 1:44.323. a time he did not equal in the evening final.

Shut out in the next two events, the 200-yard butterfly and the 100 backstroke. Harvard saw North Carolina move into fifth place with a 1-3-7 performance in the fly. The Crimson, however, came back in the final two aces to regain fifth.

In the consolation final of the 100 yard breaststroke, Pete Nikhalevski took a third to take ninth place overall. Teammate Phil Jonckheer, who has done well the last two weekends, gained the finals in the same event. He took sixth to give the Crimson a strong total of 13 in the race.

In the last race of the evening, the Harvard 800-yard freestyle relay team of Fred Mittchell, Rich Baughman, Jim Davis and Steve Baird, running up against some very tough competition, took a sixth in the finals. The team broke the Harvard record in the afternoon heats, swimming the distance in 7:08.022.

The Princeton relay team, anchored by another strong 1:43 leg by Campbell, broke yet another meet record with the time of 6:53.317. but their fans, screaming and yelling childishly all evening, did little to endear their team to the other participants.