Brandt to Speak Here

25 Years After Marshall Plan

Willy Brandt will deliver a major address on European-American relations at a special convocation at Harvard on June 5, commemorating the 25th anniversary of the announcement of the Marshall Plan.

President Bok also plans to invite prominent Americans who played a leading role in the formulation and implementation of the European Recovery" Plan, a release from the Harvard News Office said yesterday.

Secretary of State George C. Marshall proposed the European Recovery Plan at Harvard Commencement exercises on June 5, 1947, at which time he received an honorary doctor of laws degree.

The Marshall Plan called upon the Europeans to join together in drawing up their own plan for post-war recovery. The plan also proposed that the U.S. should offer economic aid to combat "not...any country or doctrine but...hunger, poverty, desperation, and chaos."

Brandt received an honorary doctor of laws degree from Harvard in 1963, at which time he was Governing Mayor of Berlin.

In his commencement speech, Marshall said, "It is logical that the United States should do whatever it is able to do to assist in the return of normal economic health in the world, without which there can be no political stability and no assured peace."