More Students Watch Weight at UHS

New Diet Programs Started

Vegetarians and weight-watchers are making more use of the University Health Services.

The Nutrition Department of the UHS reported a 50 per cent increase over the past eight months of students seeking dietary counseling. And a newly organized Nutrition Workshop has enrolled three times the expected number of students.

Mary Crumlin, nutritionist for the UHS, said she believes that part of the increased interest in nutrition is due to a larger number of people following macrobiotic diets, as well as a growing concern about obesity as a health problem.

Crumlin plans balanced menus for vegetarians and assists students with medical diet problems. She also developed the Nutrition Workshop for those trying to lose weight.

More Than Expected

Instead of the expected ten members, Crumlin accepted 32 students to the workshop and has had to refuse others who wish to join. The workshop follows a diet prescribed by Crumlin.

Dr. Warren E. Wacker, director of UHS, said new committees are also being formed to study the specific nutrition problem of students eating in dining halls. "Obesity is a major health problem and UHS and the University Food Services are trying to answer student needs in this area," he said.

"Everyone seems very satisfied with the workshop," said Crumlin. "President Bok asked me to send him a copy of the diet our nutrition group follows. I think he's worried about adding some weight since he had his accident."