Schorsch Says Readmission Prevented by Biased Report

Philipp O. C. Schorsch, a former doctoral student at the Business School, said this week that his readmission to the Doctoral Program was prevented by the report of a psychologist who was biased against his case.

He also demanded the dismissal of Roderick C. Hodgink '54, Assistant Director of the Office of Student Affairs for Counselling, who had referred him to the psychologist.

Schorsch, who has been protesting his dismissal this fall from the Doctoral Program, made the statements in a letter to Richard S. Rosenbloom '54, director of the Doctoral Program.

Rosenbloom said yesterday that he had received the letter, but would not comment on it.

Protest Restrained

Schorsch said that as a result of this letter, Rosenbloom told him yesterday he will be prevented from handing out leaflets at the Business school.

Rosenbloom could not be reached to comment on the point last night.

Schorsch alleged in the letter that a report by clinical psychologist Eoleef H. Schwaab had caused Rosenbloom to break an agreement that he had made with Schorsch to ask the Doctoral Faculty for his readmission.

Schorsch said that Schwaab knew the details of his dismissal from the program and was biased against him.

In a telephone interview last week, Schwaab revealed that he was familiar with Schorsch's case.

Claims Behavior Was Factor

Schorsch was dismissed from the Doctoral Program for what the administration calls "lack of academic progress," Schorsch says, however, that his personal behavior--in particular his relations with the 16-year-old-daughter of a Boston doctor--was a factor in his dismissal.

At the request of Rosenbloom, Schorsch voluntarily underwent psychological tests last week, Schwaab administered the tests.

Before the tests, Rosenbloom said that he would present a motion to the Doctoral Faculty at their February 24 meeting, asking for Schorsch's readmission. At the meeting, Rosenbloom did not make the motion and denied afterwards that he had said he would.

He said, however, that Schwaab's report had indicated to him that he could not ask for Schorsch's readmission.

Last Thursday Schwaab refused to comment on the psychological tests he had given Schorsch, but did say, however, "Schorsch needs help."

Schwaab said he knew of the girl with whom Schorsch had had relations, and said that Schorsch was responsible for bringing the girl to "a mental breakdown."