Mermaids Set Records in Nationals

Fastest Meet Ever

Four Radcliffe swimmers, following Harvard's record-shattering effort at the Easterns ten days ago, set new personal records in nearly every event at the National Swimming and Diving Championships held last weekend in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Captain Roann Costin led the mermaids, turning in an outstanding effort in the 400-yd freestyle. Costin, recording a 4:29.9, finished 11th, bettering her previous best time by a full eight seconds. She also took 16th in the 200 free with a 2:08.9.

Connie Cervella topped her previous best in the 100-butterfly with a good 1:07.7, narrowly missing the finals in that event. She also placed 18th in the 50-yard fly, swimming a 29.7.

The most remarkable showing by the 'Cliffe team was turned in by Jeannie Sinnott. Swimming in the 400 free, she lopped ten seconds off her previous best effort, covering the distance in a creditable 4:48.6.

In the diving competition freshman Nancy Sato finished 27th in a field of 60. Sato's effort, in her first year of competitive diving, was a significant achievment. Her lack of experience prevented Sato from placing higher.

In the freestyle relays, considered Radcliffe's strongest events, the team and Sato took 15th in both the 400-yd. and 200-yd. races.

The Radcliffe team, fully maximizing its limited personel, was hurt by the absence of Mary Beth Tomaselli, who decided not to make the trip. Tomaselli was sorely missed on the relay team. Furthermore, with only five team members making the trip Radcliffe entrants were spread very thinly throughout the competition, hurting each individual's performance.

In competition for the team title, Westchester State wrested the crown from Arizona State, the defending champion. Radcliffe's team showing, while not as strong as last year, was significant in the number of excellent individual times recorded.