SDS Finds Convention Room; Herrnstein Served Subpoena

National SDS obtained permission Tuesday from the Cambridge School Committee to use the Rindge Technical High School auditorium next weekend for part of its National Convention Against Racism.

SDS sought the Rindge Tech auditorium as a fallback in case Harvard refused SDS the use of its facilities for the convention, Anthony S. Kroch, a graduate student at MIT and a member of the MIT SDS, said yesterday.

In other SDS-related news, Richard J. Herrnstein, professor of Psychology, was subpoenaed yesterday to appear at the March 28 trial of Ira Helfand '72. Helfand was arrested last Tuesday and charged with three counts of criminal trespass on Harvard property.

The subpoena was handed to Herrnstein by Richard S. Haber '73, the roommate of a member of Harvard SDS. Under the law, any "disinterested person" is allowed to serve a subpoena.

The School Committee granted SDS the use of the Rindge Tech auditorium for Friday, March 31, from 5 p.m. to 11:30 p.m., and Saturday, April 1, from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Harvard had previously given SDS use of its facilities from 3 p.m. March 31 through Sunday, April 2.