Starr, Henson Are All-Ivy Grapplers; Blakinger, Biello Also Win Awards

Juniors Josh Henson and Richie Starr topped off stellar seasons by being named to 1972 All-Ivy westling squad. Although they were the only Crimson grapplers named on the All League selections, sophomore Dan Blakinger and freshmen Carl Biello, Bruce Johnson and John Keough also received awards at the annual dinner Monday night.

For Henson, who was named on the 134 lb, slot, the nomination was a tribute to his colorful and flamboyant style. When notified, Henson said "It just goes to show that anyone can be fooled."

Starr, who was also All-Ivy last year at 177 lbs., was recently named captain of the squad. He will probably move up to 190 next year to try for a third All-Ivy selection.

Blakinger received the annual Richard Glover Ames award for the most valuable wrestler. Blakinger received the award, which is determined by the amount of match points contributed during the season, on the strength of his 11-3 record and his high Eastern placement. He received competition from both Henson (10-3), and Jerry Kahrilas (11-3).

Biello, Harvard's highest Eastern placer, and Johnson, an outstanding athelete, received the John Imrie second effort award for their respective performances on the varsity and J.V. levels.

The award is given annually in commemoration of John Imrie, a former Harvard grappler who died during the summer of his sophomore year.

Freshman Keough received the Henry Russal Ames trophy for the most improved wrestler. Both Blakinger and Keough will have their names imprinted on the award plaques outside the wrestling room in the IAB.

As for next year, Captain Starr noted "Harvard wrestling has never achieved the full potential that it starts the season with. I hope that this will change while I'm captain. Next year, no matter how we do, I want to be able to know that we did our best."

Harvard has its toughest schedule ever to fulfill Starr's hopes. Of the 18 matches, 13 are at home, including matches with national powers Navy and California Poly, and tough Springfield and Princeton.

Next year the Nationals will be held in Seattle, Washington, and should prove a real treat for those grapplers who qualify.