Anthropology Students Ask Retention of Woman Lecturer

Thirty Anthropology students protested the Social Relation Department's decision not to rehire a woman junior professor at an open meeting Thursday night called by the Social Anthropology teaching staff.

The students demanded that Janet Fjellman, who teaches Social Relations 1002, "Women in Cross-Cultural Perspective," be rehired for next year. B. Irven DeVore, professor of Anthropology, notified Fjellman in January that her one-year contract would not be renewed.

At the meeting DeVore said that the five tenured professors in Social Anthropology decided not to rehire Fjellman because they do not consider cross-cultural women studies a top priority for next year.

But DeVore noted that of the top three candidates for a position in Social Psychology next year, two of them are women who are interested in women's studies.

DeVore said the Anthropology professors have been trying over the last three years to add courses on economic anthropology, cultural ecology, and ethnic studies to the Department's offerings.

Should Be a Priority

"Cross-cultural women studies should be one of our priorities," DeVore said. But he added that "it just has to take its place along with a series of other priorities."

J.W.M. Whiting, professor of Social Anthropology, said that there will be three one-year appointments next year. "We did not think Janet's course was the most valuable thing to fight for with Dean Dunlop," Whiting said.

Whiting added that Fjellman "doesn't know a goddamn thing about women. She should be hired to teach her specialty, child development."

Fjellman could not be reached for comment last night. She attended the meeting Thursday but did not speak. She said last week that she wants the campaign on her behalf to focus on the broad issue of women's studies instead of being limited to a one-person, one-course issue