Racquetmen Reach Fourth Round Three Crimson Players Seeded First

Harvard's squash entrants at the Intercollegiates at West Point brushed aside unranked players in the first three rounds yesterday. All six Crimson racquetmen have advanced into the quarterfinals and will begin today to face seeded competition.

Five of the six Crimson players are seeded in the top four of their respective divisions, and three racquetmen, Peter Briggs, Andy Weigand, and Alan Quasha, are the number one seeds in the tournament.

Only one seeded player, Randy Fisher of Navy, the number two player in the "B" tournament, lost yesterday.

In the "A" division, Briggs swept through three opponents in nine games.

In the third round he met his first challenging match, Princeton's number one, Dave Page. Palmer's little brother succumbed, 15-13, 15-5, 15-10.

Briggs faces Yale's Graham Arader in the quarterfinals, and he should have no trouble moving into the semifinals, probably to face Penn's Palmer Page.

Crimson captain Dave Fish is unranked, but he had little trouble advancing through three rounds. Fish topped Yale's Charlie Berry, 15-12, 15-12, 16-14, and Stony Brook's Eric Clark, 15-11, 15-8, 15-12, before capping the day with a three game sweep of Army's number one, Ray Federici. Fish must meet Navy's Gordon Perry, the number three seed, in the quarterfinals. He should win the match, and advance to play number two, Ty Griffin, in the semifinals.

In the "B" division, Weigand crushed MIT's Phil Nanavati, and then won two four-game sets against Jay Davis of Trinity, 14-15, 15-13, 15-8, 15-7, and Navy's Craig Dawson, 15-9, 15-14, 12-15, 15-11. Weigand will face Princeton's Bruce Merrifield in the quarterfinals.

Dan Gordon, seeded fourth in the division, has eliminated Princeton's Rusty Johnson, Dartmouth's Rich Woolworth, and Army's Lou Reyna all in three straight games. Gordon will meet Penn's Charlie Jacobs, whom he crushed in three games last Saturday, in the quarterfinals.

Quasha drew a bye as the first seed in the first round of the "C" division. In the second round, the Harvard senior embarrassed Navy's Ted Turnblazer, 15-13, 15-6, 15-3, and routed Amherst's Jeff Sawyer, 15-7, 15-5, 15-6. Quasha will be challenging Army's Ivar Kaardal in the quarterfinals and should move on to the semifinals along with Dave Lott of Penn.

Neil Vosters, the third seed in the "C" division, also took two easy victories. He faces Dan Roblin of Penn, whom he beat last Saturday, in the quarter finals and will probably meet Navy's Bob Stockton, the second seed, in the semifinals.

Harvard and Penn are the only competitors for the team title since the Crimson knocked off two Navy players and another Middie fell to lesser challengers.