O'Meara Victorious in 185 lb. Bout With Three Punch, 17 Second K.O.

Ring Epicurean Ferullo Samples More Delicacies In Boxing Finals Today

By M. DEACON Dake and John L. Powers

"The first punch he chipped my tooth. The second punch he belted my nose. The third punch I don't remember."

All of which could spell trouble with a capital T for Dave Gauthier tomorrow afternoon when he meets Bob O'Meara for an all-Hollis 185-pound freshman final in the annual Harvard intramural boxing championships at the Indoor Athletic Building.

O'Meara disposed of Mike Barry in 17 seconds in yesterday's preliminaries, and when he meets Gauthier, Barry's roommate, it could be one of the premier bouts of the day.

O'Meara, who scarcely wrinkled his Donald Duck bandito T-shirt while putting away Barry, was considered "a tough bastard, real tough" at Boston Latin. But Gauthier, one of the more rugged members of the freshman hockey team, "usually hits what he aims at," according to Barry.

This is definitely a match-up to circle on this afternoon's 11-bout card. As Barry left the boxing room after yesterday's match his eyes twinkled as he heard the rumblings upstairs where Buildings and Grounds workers were erecting the "real-thing ring" in anticipation of today's 4 p.m. finals.

"I want this bad, real bad, so bad I can taste it," O'Meara concluded.

Speaking of tasting it, Quincy's John Ferullo did en route to his semifinal victory over Leverett's Pete Restivo in the unlimited class. In the process of whizzing around the ring at mach two in the first round, a charging Ferullo sampled the ring ropes as an appetizer, chewed on a little leather for the main course, and finished the meal with a mouthful of plaster as he flew headlong into the IAB wall attempting a daring riposte.

Ferullo will be in search of more delicacies this afternoon when he meets last year's runner up Bob O'Neil in the finals.

One bout, the freshman 175-pound match between Bob Hoyle and John Keough, served as a final when none of the other four pugilists in that weight class dared show. Keough, a Hicksville, N.Y., product with all the heart in the world, took a unanimous decision.

Other Action

In other action yesterday, Arty Faden and John Weeks advanced to the freshman 145-pound final -- both by default -- and Winthrop's Rick Hausler whipped Housemate Mike Bernick to move into the upperclass final in the same weight class.

Leverett's George Haywood, a calm, unruffled puncher, meets Mather's Terry Brennan in the 155-pound finals today. Steve Hoslinger and Bob Garcia, both of whom survived their semifinal tests unmarked, will box in the upperclass 165-and 175-pound finals, respectively.