Radcliffe Downs Leverett in Basketball Final

John Runyan Stars

Radcliffe, led by the inspirational play of guard John Runyan and forward Vince Lackner, captured its first interhouse basketball championship last night by defeating Leverett, 45-38.

This victory enables Radcliffe to represent Harvard against the Yale House champion this Friday night in New Haven.

A roaring crowd of 75 at the IAB watched as Radcliffe raced to an early 10-0 lead. Leverett, however, finally broke the ice and battled back to grab a 10-11 lead. From then on, it was nip-and-tuck, with neither team ever leading by more than 7.

At the half-way point, the 'Cliffe was in front, 20-17.

"Half-time was the key," Lackner said. "We gave them some oranges we had injected with vodka in order to slow them down. Apparently it did the trick."

Leverett was never able to regain its early lead, but put up a good fight, tying the 'Cliffe at 30 and 33 under the leadership of its big men Wayne Clapp. Bettia Rauinsford and Steve Zukula.

Despite Leverett's tenacity. Radcliffe never lost its composure and, under the steady guidance of Runyan and Lackner, gradually widened its lead to 41-35 with 1:10 remaining.

Leverett then initiated a frantic press, but Runyan and Luckner came through with clutch ball handling and key foul shots to give the 'Cliffe a 45-38 victory.

Radcliffe scorers were Runyan, with 11: Jordan Cohn, 11: Bill Newkirk, 7: and Lackner, 6. Leverett's scorers were: Steve Zakula, 13: Wayne Clapp, 9: Rainsford, 5: and coach Mike Guthrie chipped in with 4.

Radcliffe, which had beaten Leverett earlier in the year, 46-37, finished the season at 13-2. Leverett finished at 12-3.