New Adams House Group Organizes For Increased Meal Pool Support

By Peter M. Shane

Members of a new committee of Adams House alumni, staff, and undergraduates have organized in support of continued University funding of the free meal pool for tutors and guests.

Surviving now on contributions from staff member and on economies in staff lunches, the Adams House meal pool is expected to last no longer than to the end of April, according to William Liller '48. Master of Adams House.

Harold Hestnes '58, an Adams House alumnus working on the new committee, wrote a letter to President Bok protesting the cutback in meal funds. Francis H. Burr '35. Fellow of Harvard College, responded to the letter, stating that "we will undoubtedly have more of the same as we are forced to face hard fiscal realities," although "my own sentiments are very like yours and I would sincerely hope that they (the Faculty) would be able to find other less painful economies."

The new committee was organized at the joint recommendation of the Harvard Alumni Association and of the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) that contact between undergraduates and alumni be broadened.

A general meeting to involve undergraduates in the committee will be held tonight in the House. A showing of the student-produced film "Experience" and a discussion of other issues to be the concern of the committee are planned.