Hockey Team Awards Honors; Paul Is Most Valuable Player

By John L. Powers

Harvard's hockey team honored three of its forwards and said farewell to its grand old gentleman last night as it formally ended the 1971-72 season with its annual break-up dinner at the Harvard Club of Boston.

Two of the award recipients, Captain Tom Paul and junior Larry Desmond, were members of the Crimson's frequently overlooked first line. Paul, the squad's fourth leading scorer, received the Tudor Memorial Cup as the team's Most Valuable Player.

Desmond, who played with the junior varsity for a week early in the season, was awarded the Angier Trophy as the Most Improved Player. After moving up to the varsity, he played superbly on Paul's wing, scoring six goals in the last eight games, including both in the 5-2 loss at Cornell.

Bob McManama, center on the Local Line, was given the Weiland Award for "aggressive and spirited play and selfless contribution to total team effort." An all-Ivy and all-East selection, he tied with linemate Dave Hynes for the scoring lead with 54 points this winter.

The evening's highlight, however, was a touching tribute to JV coach Jim Hutchinson, who retires after 17 years in the position. One of the greatest golf players in Harvard history, Hutchinson returned to Cambridge as JV coach on a part-time basis in 1955, and served without pay for the majority of the time. His teams compiled a 193-99-7 record, including a 15-4 mark this year, and have won their last eight games with Yale.

"I may not have been the world's best hockey coach," Hutchinson once said. "But I'm the best at my price."