Mass. Drinking Age Lowered; Booze May Return to Houses

Harvard Houses may again provide students with Saturday night bottles of Cucamonga Red, and beer with their hamburgers from-as governor Francis M. Sargent signed a bill Thursday lowering the Massachusetts drinking age from 21 to 18.

Several Houses had to close down their wine cellars and discontinue selling beer earlier this year because they did not own liquor licenses and were selling to minors.

The new bill-Which allows 18 year olds to drink and to sell alcoholic beverages in licensed liquor stores-Will not become effective until April 1, 1973, after a non-binding referendum on the November ballot.

Each House will still have to obtain a license before reinstating the sale of liquor. The fee for this special "Wine and beer" license is $350.

"We'll have to check with the house, but if people are interested then We'll get the license, "William B. Liller '48, Master of Adams House said yesterday, "We may have to uncork the bottles before selling them, "he added, referring to the license provision that the liquor be served in open bottles.

Great deal

Rex W. Mason '73, who ran the Mather House wine cellar before it was forced to close, said yesterday that he would "check up" on such a license, "The wine cellar was such a great deal for everyone, "he said, "I'd love to start it up again."

Two amendments delayed the normal 90-day effective date of the bill until next April, and called for the voter referendum. This delay will prevent the Houses from selling liquor legally until next year.