Golfers Face Columbia And Penn in Key Test

By Charles B. Straus

After compiling a 4-0 record on the basis of two wins in triangular confrontations with Williams and B.C., and Amherst and Tufts, the Harvard golf team faces its toughest competition to date when it hosts Penn and Columbia in Concord this afternoon.

The Crimson, led by Bill Saletich, who has taken medalist honors in both matches, will be strongly challenged by the Quakers. Penn, which is undefeated after three triangular matches, appears to be one of the strongest teams in the Ivy League. Sophomore Vince Scarpetta, who is averaging 69.6 strokes a match, and Don De Angelis, a second place finisher in the fall ECAC tournament, lead a strong squad.

Against Villanova and LaSalle, the Quakers shot an outstanding 368. Harvard's best total thus far has been a 390, but both of the Crimson matches were played on very wet courses under poor weather conditions. Presumably the weather in Pennsylvania has been more favorable, accounting to some extent for the low scores.

Lions

Columbia, never traditionally a golf powerhouse, trying to build a strong team this year, and has attracted a fine group of freshmen. But the Lions have not done particularly well so far this spring, winning one while losing three. Their low five scores in each match have not been very impressive either, with the best being a mediocre 402, well off the Quaker and Crimson pace. Judging from their past performances, Columbia should not'be too much of a factor in today's match.