Mass Hall Occupation Enters 4th Day

Guinier Gives Occupiers $500, Decries Harvard 'Repression'

By Peter Shapiro

The occupation of Massachusetts Hall by Afro and the Pan-African Liberation Committee went into its fourth day this morning as rain-soaked supporters continued an around-the-clock picket line in front of the building.

Ewart Guinier, chairman of the Afro-American Studies Department, donated $500 to the students occupying Mass Hall. In a statement issued at the time of the donation. Guinier said he supports "the reasonable demands of the Pan-African Liberation Committee" and opposes the Corporation's decision to retain its Gulf Oil Corporation stock.

The Administration has taken no further steps toward enforcing the temporary restraining order which was read to the occupiers Friday.

Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, said last night that the Administration is "keeping all lines of communication open" and hopes the occupiers will soon voluntarily leave the building.

Steiner said that the University will file for a preliminary injunction against the occupation Wednesday. He said, however, that obtaining an injunction would not oblige the University to eject the demonstrators forcibly.

Steiner met throughout the day with President Bok. Charles U. Daly, vice president for Government and Community Affairs, and, Walter J. Leonard, Bok's black assistant for Minority Affairs, in the temporary Administration headquarters on the tenth floor of Holyoke Center.

Long Stay

Secure within the administration's peacetime offices, the Mass Hall occupiers prepared for a long stay. Morale was noticeably lifted when Guinier yesterday morning announced his donation.

Guinier said, "Historically. Harvard has been on the negative side of the aspirations of black people." He said that improvements in black status within the University had not come about "until protests such as the present one forced Harvard's hand."

Guinier called upon the Administration to grant the occupiers amnesty "because of this history of Harvard repression of black people."

Meanwhile, representatives of strike steering committees from Boston-area universities met on the embattled B.U. campus and decided that groups from each university would hold individual antiwar demonstrations Monday at local sites linked to the Federal government.

The demonstration here is scheduled to begin with a noon rally in the Yard to support the Mass Hall occupation. Protesters will then march to Central Square where a nonviolent sit-in is planned at the Cambridge Draft Board inside City Hall.