Cadets Wallop Outmanned Thinclads

By Charles B. Straus

"When you're hot. you're hot. When you're not. You're are not" or at least that seems to be the case for the Harvard track as they dropped their second straight meet of the Spring Saturday at Army.10053

It is a very unusual year when coach Bill McCurdy's squad loses twice in a Season not to mention twice in a row, but this Spring has definitely been different" It has been a difficult and trying period, and It must be a frustrating experience for the team. "McCurdy and yesterday. "I can't believe we blew the hole spring". he added, In a takeoff on a popular IV commercial.

Saturday's meet at Army, Was typical of the team's misfortunes the Spring. Hobbled by injuries all year long. McCurdy was contronted with added problem of meeting the Cadets without six black members who had left the team in support of PALC and the Mass Hall takeover.

Had track

In addition, it was a miserable day at West Point, "We were running on a track that resembled a partially drained swamp." McCurdy said.

Nevertheless the Crimson performed admirably--if not courageously--ass during the rainy afternoon. The final score of 100-53 did little justice to Harvard. "It was a hell of an effort considering the guys we didn't have." McCurdy said.

Sophmore Rick Rojas, a steady performer all year, made two outstanding efforts in the mile and two mile, but lost both. "He was outkicked in both races. His endurance is his forte rather than flat speed, and it was impossible for him to pace himself on such a wet track." McCurdy explaines.

Nick Leone, a promising runner the Crimson have been waiting for all year, make a premature return from injury and, according so McCurdy. "ran himself to death." Leone ran a leg on the sprint relay, which barely missed raking first, the open quarter-mile, and a leg on the mile relay.

McCurdy, hard-pressed to fill the injury and walk our gap, hauled John Quirk out of a convalescence from mono and Quirk responded by winning the half-mile. Captain Bud Wilson led a 1-2 Crimson sweep in the 220-yd dash, and the vaulters also completed a 1-2 sweep. But besides these bright spots it was a dark day for Harvard track.

"We are not about to give up, not about to quit." McCurdy said yesterday.

"Our problem now is to see if we can pull together as a team with what we have." He did not know if or when the blacks would rejoin the squad but said he was "assuming that we would make plans without them, and without any others whose moral conscience prevented them from participating."