Linksmen Win Local Golf Title

By Peter A. Landry

The Harvard golf team, playing its best golf of the season despite soggy course conditions, successfully defended the Greater Boston Collegiate championship yesterday afternoon in a gruelling. 36-hole competition at the par-71 Concord Country Club.

The Crimson, shooting 772 as a team, easily outdistanced second place Boston College to win the team title. The B.C. Eagles finished a distant 32 strokes behind Harvard at 804. Team par for the tournament was 710.

The Harvard linksmen were also successful on the individual level, as the Crimson bunched at the top of the final standings to outclass the rest of the field.

Senior Terry Wynne, shooting an excellent 77-74-152 for the 36-hole tournament, tied Tufts linksman Bob Roberts for the individual championship. In a sudden-death playoff. Wynne and Roberts matched each other shot for shot. Both golfers birdied the first extra hole and parred the second to remain tied for the title before darkness curtailed the action.

Skip Barry and Quinn Smith tied for second with a pair of strong 153's. Barry, after an excellent 75 for the first 18-holes, tailed off to a 78 in the second round. Smith, displaying solid consistency authored a 76-77 performance.

Harvard's Andy Marks finished with an 82-75-157, in one of his better performances of the season. John Stoviak and last year's GBCAA champion Bill Salatich backed up the Crimson cause with 158 totals.

Harvard captain Skip Kistner, who has been the Crimson's "meal ticket" all year, ran into a streak of bad luck yesterday and finished out of the running.

The strong Harvard performance came at precisely the right time in the season with a challenging Brown match coming up this Wednesday and the all-important Big Three championship looming ahead on the weekend. The Crimson win gives Harvard a strong psychological boost with which to enter into these difficult challenges later in the week.