Crimson Golf Team to Face Three Tough Ivy Opponents

The Crimson golf team--bolstered by an excellent showing in the Boston Collegiate championship Monday--faces a challenging Brown team today at Concord golf course and a tough match against Yale and Princeton Friday at Country Club. The team's present record is 4-2.

Brown has a very strong team with most of last year's players back this year. The Bears' top player, junior Dick Stevens, is a former Eastern prep school champion. Brown beat the Crimson last year by ten strokes at Brown's home course.

"Monday's victory was nice, but there was no competition," John Stoviak '73, a member of the golf team, said. "We'd like to prove that we can beat somebody good."

Stoviak added that the match should be very close and could be important to Harvard with the Princeton-Yale meet coming up Friday.

Yale has one of the strongest teams in the East. The Elis tied Penn State last year in the ECAC championship. Yale would have gone to the Nationals had the school not been under probation at the time. Princeton also has a good team though probably not as good as Brown or Yale.

Stoviak called the Country Club course a distinct advantage for Harvard.

"The Country Club course requires good chip shots and good putting. The greens are very small. Two greens at Country Club could probably fit into one at Yale or Princeton. Country Club is very different from what Yale and Princeton are used to," Stoviak said.

"None of the teams we play this week are so good that we can't beat them, but none of them is a pushover either. If we can shoot under 390 we will have a very good chance of beating any of the three teams," Stoviak said.