Vince McGugan Captures Bingham Award for 1972

Tatrallyay, Sutton, McLoughlin Honored

Baseball second baseman Vince McGugan has won the William J. Bingham Award at Monday night's Senior Letterman's Dinner. The Bingham Prize, awarded annually for "integrity, courage, and ability," is the highest athletic honor at Harvard.

McGugan, a three-year varsity letterman, was instrumental this year in leading the Crimson to its second straight EIBL title. McGugan leads the Crimson squad in batting with a 343 average and has been one of the top base stealers in the country this season.

Crimson coach Loyal Park called McGugan the "strongest candidate for this award that I've ever coached" and gives the scrappy second baseman a lot of credit for Harvard's strong showing this year.

"We changed our life style this season." Park said. "We had to hunt, hit-and-run, steal and play defense. Vin is the guy who made all that happen."

Three other seniors won athletic honors at Monday's banquet. Fencer Geza Tatrallyay won the Francis H. Burr Scholarship, for combining academic and athletic excellence; heavyweight oarsman Peter Sutton won the Jack Fadden Award for achievement in overcoming "physical adversity"; and baseball manager Hollis McLoughlin was named the first recipient of the Managers Trophy.

Tatrallyay, captain of last season's fencing squad is a Rhodes Scholar. He is a two-time All-Ivy performer, and a member of the 1972 All-America fencing squad. Tatrallyay recently won a silver medal at the Canadian National Fencing Championships and has a strong chance to make the Canadian Olympic team.

Bow Wow

Sutton made a fantastic comeback this spring from a severe back injury that sidelined him for the 1971 season, winning a first-boat position in the Heavyweight varsity boat. Sutton rowed bow for Harry Parker's varsity eight that went undefeated during the regular season.

McLoughlin is the first recipient of the "manager of the year" award for Harvard athletics. He served as varsity baseball manager for three years and also served as a student member on the Standing Committee on Athletics.