Jock Talk: What's Ahead, John Harvard?

By Peter A. Landry

-Good afternoon, sports fans. Hugh Callem here, bringing you another season of Harvard sports. Today we're high stop Harvard stadium waiting for the kick-off to another excitement-packed year as the Crimson plunges into another sports campaign. And now I'd like to introduce my colleague. Anex Starr, former record-setting running back in the NFL. Anex will be doing the color commentary for our broadcasts this year.

"Anex, welcome abroad. You know, this is the time of year when the air is full of predictions. It seems that everyone is preoccupied with speculations about their favorite Harvard teams players and coaches, and are wondering how they will be doing in the months ahead. This early in the season there have to be a lot of uncertainties though so why don't you give the folks at home a little indepth analysis on the possibilities for the upcoming season? Give us some idea what is in store for us this year."

"You bet, Hung. Every year at this time the air is just flying with predictions. And there are a lot of things to keep people wondering after what happened last year."

"Like what, Anex?"

"Well, people who know are wondering if Joe Restic's wide-open offense is going to open up the action on the gridiron this year. Last season, after a big training-camp build-up, it really bogged down when the money was on the line. There were a lot of complaints that the only thing that his new system opened up were the mouths of yawning fans who were bored to death up in the stadium Saturday after Saturday.

"And then there's the basketball situation Hugh. That's really up in the air right now. There are rumors flying that there is dissension brewing between Bob Harrison and some of his squad. Last year's 15-11 record disappointed a lot of people especially when you've got talent like Brown. Fitzsimmons. Jenkins and Lewis. A close watch is going to be on Harvard's cagers this year to see whether they can put together the kind of season that everyone thinks they're capable of. And right along with that people are wondering if the basketball program up at Radcliffe is going to improve on last year's showing. It looked a little bleak up there at times last winter and Perla Hewes's squad while blessed with a lot of height, couldn't put it all together. Radcliffe fans are going to be carefully scrutinizing this year's, performance for improvement."

"That's right. Anex, you never know from one year to the next what's going to happen. There looks like there's some action down on the field. Yes...the Harvard band is coming out to do another of its risque pre-game shows. Let's listen for a while and talk some more about what folks can expect from Harvard this year."

"You bet, Hugh. Let's see....Another big question has to be Don Gambril's ability to overcome a sparse him of some of his best prospects. When all those swimming standouts that he'd lined up to build his East Coast empire decided not to come to Harvard after all, his plans to make the Crimson the class of Eastern swimming were given a pretty stiff shove backwards. Now the big question is whether or not he can overcome this setback and get a better season out of his high-geared swim program than last year's 5-4 record."

"Right you are. Anex. What kind of dope have you got on Harvard hockey?"

"Oh...that's good topic to bring up, Hugh. You know, strangely enough, hockey at Harvard is similar in some ways to track at Harvard--at least in the problems that the teams must face this year. Both Billy Cleary and Bill McCurdy are coming off sub-par seasons--at least by their standards--and folks are wondering whether they'll be able to come back. After last year, Cleary and McCurdy must have spent a lot of time sitting around wondering who pulled the rug out. The hockey squad that tore up the Eastern league during the first hall of last season wilted down the stretch especially when they got to the playoffs. And you know, McCurdy's thinclads had one injury after another last year. That had a real debilitating effect on Crimson chances. McCurdy just couldn't get all his horses together last year and as a result, his squad had its poorest showing in some time.

"And then there's Bruce Munro's lacrosse squad. Last spring, they had a pretty frustrating season, winning only three matches while dropping eight. The Crimson laxmen could manage but one win in the Ivies, an overtime triumph against Dartmouth Munro and a lot of other people are going to keep their eyes on what the laxmen do this spring. There is a lot of room for change if things don't shape up better than a year ago."

"Thanks, Anex. There seems to be some activity down on the field...yes...it looks like its time for the loss of the coin. They're introducing the captains. It looks like we're just about to get under way. There's the toss...and Harvard wins it. The Crimson chooses to receive and Harvard will defend the goalpost in the open end of the stadium. Anex while we've got a minute, let's look at some of the areas where the Crimson figure to be strong this year. You've given us a good look at the weaknesses, but let's examine what we could call Harvard's strengths."

You bet. Hugh. Once again the Crimson figures to be very strong in soccer and baseball. And Radcliffe looks powerful in field hockey. Over the years Harvard has put together really strong programs in these areas and it doesn't look like they will have much trouble keeping up the pace this year. In fact, the success that they have had in the past is the biggest thing going against them. If they don't measure up to the outstanding seasons they they've put together the last couple of year folks will say that they don't have even if they've put together good performances by other teams standards. What everybody is Cambridge is wondering is just how this year's performances will measure up to the glories of other years."

"It will be hard for the Crimson 'booters to match last year's success story that carried Harvard all the way to the NCAA soccer semifinals before knocking them out. Once again Harvard will tackle an 11 game schedule, and, from here, it doesn't look like anyone on it can match Bruce Munroe's powerful squad. Another Ivy League title seems to be coming toward Cambridge.

"In baseball. Loyal Park doesn't seem to have many woes either. He generally gets the pick of Boston area diamond stars to go with some pretty classy performers from the rest of the country. Last spring Harvard won the Eastern League title. Prospects for this year look at least that good, and with a pitcher of Roz Brayton's calibre. Park is in pretty good shape for the coming season.

You know, Hugh, not much gets said about women's sports around Cambridge, but the 'Cliffe field hockey squad is one of the best. Last year they went 5-1 and were the top team in New England. Coach Perla Hewes is enthusiastic about this Fall's season, and is quick to point out that last season's defeat was the first in two or three years. And even so it came on a disputed goal in the waning moments of the match with Mt. Holyoke. Besides being the top squad in New England, Radcliffe is considered to be a perennial power in the Seven Sisters League."

"You know, Anex, Jack Barnaby has the same problem with his squash squad--they are so good that if they lose anything people are going to make a lot out of it."

"You bet, Hugh. Ever since the Crimson took home the NCAA squash title last year, Jack has been basking away the off-season in the sweet memories of last winter. Now he's got to be wondering whether or not has requetmen can warm up the cold months ahead with another fiery performance."

"Let me interrupt here. Anex, there seems to be some sort of commotion down on the field. It's time for the kickoff, but nothing's happening. The Harvard band refuses to leave the field. They're staging some sort of protest or something down there. It looks like we'll be held up indefinitely. Why don't we look at some of the other strong points for Harvard athletics.

"You be Hugh. When it comes to crew the word in the East it comes to the crimson boasts the most impressive record in the East over the last few years, despite the fat that the heavyweights were upset by an upstart Northeastern squad ion last Spring's Eastern Sprint Regatta. The lightweights haven't lost a race in five years, and despite the fact that Steve Gladstone has departed to take over the coaching reins at Berkeley, they look strong. And Harry Parker must be doing something right with his heavyweights when the 14 man U.S. Olympic team boasts eight Harvard alumni.

"They're dedicated bunch aren't they Anex.

You bet, Hugh They train all year at the spring races, regardless of the rather. Rain or shine, hot or cold you see them out there in it.

That's what makes America great don't you think Anex Hard work and dedication It makes you feel and inside doesn't it.

You bet Hugh"

We have fast received word up here in the press box that the demonstration being staged by the Harvard band down on the field is armed at the athletic department here at the University. The band is demanding that the department recognize them as a full-fledged varsity sport before they will leave. It looks like they've reached a stalemate down there. so let's get back to what we were talking about. What do you say. Anex?"

"You bet, Hugh. It's always interesting to look at Edo Marion's fencing team and wonder what they're going to do. The old master has been here at Harvard for 21 years and last season had his best record ever, finishing second in the Ivy League. He's pretty confident about the upcoming season, too Edo expects this squad to be one of his best. He's recruited some experienced fencers to go with last year's young team, and , if he can harness the antics of his madcap fencers, there should be a lot of victories coming his way There are times, though, when you have to wonder what Vince Lombardi would have to say about the good-time philosophy that pervails among Edo's fencers. But I guess even Lombardi wouldn't knock success."

"What about some of the other women's sports, Anex?"

"You bet. Hugh, Another strong squad that looks like it will do well this year is the Cliffe tennis combine. The women play full spring and fall schedules and last year proved themselves to be among the best in New England. This fall they'll be concentrating mainly on the New England Intercollegiate tournament to be held at Yale in October Radcliffe appears to have a potent doubles squad headed by StuartMorgan at number two Joyce Skon looks like the top singles candidate unless there are some class Evert's in the freshman ranks. Perla Hewes coaches the tennis team, too and the figures that the 'Cliffe will repeat its Seven Sisters title of last spring and will improve enough to give a battle to Yale and Princeton. Perla says that the 'Cliffe just can't complete with those two just yet because Radcliffe doesn't follow the high-intensity recruitment policies that the other two schools do.

"The Radcliffe swimmers look strong as well. Coach Alice McCabe has most of last year's squad back again, so you have to figure them to be among the top squads in New England. And with Don Gambril bringing in a lot of big-time tactics, some of them are bound to rub off on the Radcliffe swimmers who share the same pool. The 'Cliffe mermaids definitely will be a force to consider in women's swimming circles."

"Right, Anex. We're still waiting down on the field. But just a minute, they tell us that the band has agreed to retire under the stands for negotiations with the Department of Athletics and in a few minutes we'll be ready to roll. Do you have any last observations you want to make Anex?"

You bet Hugh. I was just thinking that a year ago. Restic and Bostonians buzzing with talk about the revolution he was going to pull off in the Harvard football program. For 13 years, the Crimson had been under the staid hand of John Yovicsin, who strongly believed in the three yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust approach to the game. You know, Yovicsin was pretty Puritan in his outlook--he wanted his squads to take just enough to get by and not give up any frivolous benefits to the opponents. Defense and grind it out'. That fitted John.

"Now I'was just thinking, here this guy Restic comes in and wants to throw over the whole thing. Like on offense it was rumored that he was going to show more motion to Harvard people than had been seen since tight skirts hit Pine Manor. He was talking backs in motion left, and backs in motion right, razzle dazzle in the middle, passing--all kinds of fireworks. He claimed that Bostonians were going to see points put on the scoreboard had seen east of the Big Ten.

"Well I was thinking...all those things didn't get together last year, except for one sweet moment in the Yale game, so maybe it takes time, even here, to adjust to new approaches. Football is football, even at Harvard, and you can't revamp the whole thing in a year. Maybe this is the year that it'll come around. That's that makes sports the life of America. Hugh. It gives people something to look forward to."

"And in the end, Anex, that's what makes this country great!!"

"You bet, Hugh."

"Well, Anex, it's kick-off time."Down the slopes? You bet Hugh