Harvard-Dartmouth Game May Be Scheduled on TV

By Peter A. Landry

The Harvard Dartmouth football game to be played this fail in Harvard Stadium is being considered by ABC Television for the network's October 28 NCAA Game of the Week program

The Dartmouth game one of four regional contests currently under consideration by the network could bring Harvard upwards of $70,000 if the University is selected for the telecast Under ABC's contract with the NCAA Harvard and Dartmouth would cash receive 25 per cent of the television receipts which according to Beeno Cook, executive nice president for ABC would be between $280,000 and $300,000. The remainder of the television receipts would be divided equally among the six other Ivy colleges under the Ivy League revenue sharing plan.

According to Baron Pittinger, associate director of Athletics, the money Harvard would receive from the television contract would go toward defraying athletic expenses. However, Pitting said last week that even if ABC does decide to telecast the game the money would not go directly into the coffers of the athletic department.

"The money goes to the Faculty of Arts and "Sciences," Pittinger said. "We couldn't just take that money and spend it any old way we wanted to. Dean Dunlop has control of how it will be used."

While Harvard officials are naturally enthusiastic about the prospects of receiving monetary benefits from a telecast of the Dartmouth game ABC's chances of picking the game is by no means certain.

There are four games under consideration for that date and the Harvard Dartmouth encounter is only one of them. The arrangement--called a wild card setup by ABC officials--allows the network to choose the most interesting match up of the four according to their "viewer appeal" at the time of the telecast.

Thus if Harvard or Dartmouth (or both) were to lose all or most of their first four games the network is not likely to telecast an uninteresting or mis matched contest. The early season performances of all the teams under consideration will be the key factor in ABC's decision on which game to telecast.

"It depends entirely on how the teams do." Cook said last week when contacted in New York. "In a newspaper, you wouldn't put a boring story on page one. The same principle applies here."