Morris, Connolly Take New Posts in Houses

By Leo FJ. Wilking

Two administrative veterans will assume new places in Dudley House and Winthrop House this year.

J. Carrell Morris, McKay Professor of Sanitary Chemistry, has replaced Thomas E. Crooks as Master of Dudley House. Morris was Senior Tutor of Dudley from 1959 to 1964 and a Fellow and active Associate of the House while he was Faculty Representative on the Administrative Board from 1965 to 1971.

Thomas H. Connolly is the new Allston Burr Senior Tutor in Winthrop House, succeeding Thomas D. Parker, who along with his wife this summer accepted a higher position at Bennington College. Gail T. Parker, former assistant professor of History and Literature, is the new president of Bennington. Her husband is vice president in charge of Administration.

Connolly was an Assistant Senior Tutor last year and a resident tutor in Winthrop House the year before that. He plans to leave Harvard next year.

Although 85 per cent of Dudley House "residents" live off-campus. Morris said last week. "I don't want to think of it as the commuter House, but as the experimental House where we can try things not possible in other Houses."

Dudley is the largest of the University's 13 undergraduate Houses, and Morris said he believes part of his job is making sure "that students are treated like human beings, not machines."

Morris said he would like the Houses to recoup some of the influence over students that they have lost in past years. He said recent pressures to create a racial, ethnic and sexual balance in the Houses, "were so strong and put into effect so rapidly that it strained the House system. The problem is to recover some of the values that existed before."

John R. Marquand, Allston Burr Senior Tutor of Dudley, was enthusiastic about the appointment. "I'm really delighted that someone with an interest in the College, and particularly Dudley, has accepted this post--besides, he's an old friend." Marquand said.

Connolly considers his role as a Senior Tutor as a bridge: "I see it as being the student's one point of personalized contact with the bureaucracy," he said. A former Roman Catholic priest and a specialist in medieval music, Connolly will also teach a junior seminar in Music this year.