Bok Names 3 to People Vacant Posts

APPOINTMENTS:

By Richard J. Meislin

The past two weeks were ones of appointments for President Bok, as he selected a University professor, two center directors and one associate director.

Francis Fisher '48, a former fellow of the Institute of Politics, was named director of the Office for Graduate and Career Plans. He replaces John B. Fox Jr., who moved to University Hall last Spring to become special assistant to Dean Dunlop.

Fisher was described by Dean Whitlock as "so over-qualified for the job that at first the committee didn't even consider him." He was selected, Whitlock said, on the basis of a memo Fisher sent to Bok last Spring that criticized the failure of the OGCP to counsel students not interested in graduate school and those who "supplement their education through off-campus experience."

Bok followed the selection of Fisher early this week by choosing Oscar Handiin, Warren Professor of American History, to be the new Carl H. Pforzheimer University Professor.

The Pforzheimer chair--one of the six which entitle scholars to teach in any department in the University--was held by the late Merle Fainsod prior to his death last Spring. Handlin will also succeed Fainsod as Chairman of the University Library Committee and Chairman of the Committee on the Library of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

In his final appointments of the week, Bok chose Raymond Vernon, Johnson Professor of International Business Management, and Samuel P. Huntington, Thomson Professor of Government, to fill the posts of director and associate director of the Center for International Affairs.

Vernon will replace Robert R Bowie. Dillon Professor of International Affairs, who retires as director of the CFIA on January 1 after 15 years of service. The controversial Huntington will take the second slot vacated in 1969 by Presidential Adviser Henry A. Kissinger '50.