Bok Has Several Alternatives Open In Choosing Replacement for Dunlop

By Daniel Swanson

John T. Dunlop's unexpected resignation as dean of the Faculty today has prompted widespread speculation concerning the identity of his successor. Although the University is still reeling following Dunlop's abrupt announcement, bets are already being taken on candidates to succeed him.

The final authority for choosing a new dean rests with President Bok and the Governing Boards, but the position is almost always filled after extensive consultation with the Faculty it most affects.

Following this pattern, President Bok said today he will meet with the Faculty Council next week to "discuss the matter from scratch."

Several alternatives are open to Bok. He could appoint a senior Faculty member held in wide esteem to act as a caretaker acting dean while a search committee is formed to find a permanent occupant for the position.

He could appoint an acting dean with a tacit understanding that that person would eventually become the permanent holder of the position. This is the route traveled by Dunlop, who was acting dean for six months before his position was made permanent by President Emeritus Nathan M. Pusey '28 in July 1970.

In a much less likely move. Bok could appoint himself acting dean until the position is filled. Although the possibility of such a move is remote, there is precedent for it: Pusey served as acting dean himself for six months in 1972 after McGeorge Bundy joined the Kennedy Administration.

Bok could also revive an idea he advanced when he first became President and consider selecting both a new dean and a provost or senior vice president, thus adding a new position at the University helm and creating a triumvirate of power.

Bok explained today he has at present no conceptions of either how to fill the post or who to appoint. He stressed the importance of filling the position with a person of "prodigious talents" and said it would have to be filled quickly, probably immediately after the February 6 date when Dunlop's resignation becomes effective.

Several high-level University officials speculated today about the individuals who would fill the position if Bok decides to use the first two alternatives.

If Bok decides to appoint a caretaker acting dean, speculation has centered on John K. Fairbank '29, Higginson Professor of History, or Edwin O. Reischauer, University Professor. Both men are senior Faculty members held in wide esteem by virtually all segments of the University.

Edward S. Mason was viewed in a similar light when he was appointed acting dean in 1969 following an illness to then-dean Franklin Ford. Mason served for six months while the University pulled itself back together in the aftermath of the 1969 strike.

The speculation becomes more rampant when the identity of a permanent dean is considered, although discussion seems to center on four men. Leading candidates for a permanent position are believed to be: James Q. Wilson, professor of Government: Alan E. Heimert '49, Cabot Professor of American Literature: Henry Rosovsky, professor of Economics: and Harvey Brooks, McKay Professor of Applied Physics.

All four men are relatively young, and all have maintained an activist profile within the Faculty. The high-level officials regard all of them as strong candidates for the position.

Wilson must be considered the front-runner for the position. His rise in the academic world has been nothing less than meteoric, and he has always evinced a willingness to shoulder seemingly onerous duties.

Wilson earlier today expressed shock at Dunlop's resignation, and declined to speculate concerning his own future. He said he viewed the position with some reluctance, because he said he feared it prevented Faculty members from continuing their academic work. "I'm inclined to think I would like to continue teaching and research," he said.

Neither Heimert, Rosovsky nor Brooks could be reached today, but all possess similar qualifications.