Radcliffe Tennis and Squash Teacher Tops NELTA in Singles and Doubles

Peria Hewes, a tennis and squash instructor at Radcliffe, has earned top place in the women's singles and Doubles categories of the 1973 New England Lawn Tennis Association ranking.

"I was stunned when notified," Hewes said yesterday. "I only expected to be third at best, but I guess I was ranked first because I didn't have any bad bases."

Hewes's partner during the 1972 season was Dorothy knode, a former clay-courts champion who now is the teaching pre at the Cambridge Tennis Club.

"We expected to be ranked first in doubles," Hewes said. "We beat all the other top teams, so there really wasn't any question about it."

The ratings are based on play during the 1972 season, and Hewes had several wins during that time. "I think my tournament win in Dartmouth last summer was the key to my making," she said.

In that match, Hewes best junior champ Leslie Vyce in the finals. "Vyce had knocked out all the giants." Hewe's said. "I guess we were really playing for the top ranking, though I didn't think of it then."

But Hewes did beat several top players herself. Who upset such high-ranked New England women as Baba Lewis. May Richards, and her doubles partner Knode.

Hewes was once collegiate champ of her native Philippines said ranked as high as third nationally in that country. She has been playing tournament tennis for eighteen years.