Crimson Cagers Meet Huskies Tonight In Preview to Monday's Beanpot Final

By Peter A. Landry

Having snapped its four-game losing streak with a solid 77-67 triumph over B.C., the Crimson basketball team crosses the Charles tonight to take on Nor theastern in a game that will sneak previews the final round of the Beanpot basketball tournament to be held Monday night at Boston Garden.

The Huskie squad 8.3 on the seat and riding a six-game win streak, is a young team, but disguises its lack of experience with an aggressiveness and discipline that should be a novelty for Harvard fans. And while the Huskies do not have the size that Harvard has they boast a backcourt that could give Harvard fits.

With freshman standout John Clark and senior captain Mark Jellison teaming at the guards. Northeastern has what Huskie coach Jim Calhoun describes as "The best backcourt in New England, outside of Providence" Jellison has been averaging just over 20 points per game and is a dynamite defensive ball player. Clark chips in with 12 points per contest, and significantly, deals out 12 assists cash outing as well.

Up front, the Huskies have what Calhoun calls "pretty good balance" but which loosely translated means "we just ain't got da height." In fact, while the squad can't legitimately be labeled "short," it is at best, only medium height Most of the Huskie front court men are an the 65" range, although sophomore Jimmy Conners, who is the team's leading rebounder, stretches out to 67". But Conners is only 195 pounds and can't really be called an animal under the boards.

It that role is to be dealt out to anyone on the Northeastern team, it must go to 65" John Burrows, who is the Huskie policeman under the boards Calhoun says that while Conners has the stats. Burrows is the main man underneath. "He gets the tough rebound for son, the Northeastern coach said last night and he boses out well."

What the Huskies man lack in ability they more than make up for with guts and discipline. "We come to play," Calhoun said. 'I can't ask any more of our kids. We're already had three broken noses and a whole lot of stitches this year. We don't hold anything back.

Northeastern will show the Crimson a variety of defenses switching freely from man-to-man to zone. And they may press the Crimson of the situation demands it Against Springfield Wednesday night Calhoun unleashed what he calls his "Chinese scramble." Trailing by seven points late in the second half the Huskies quickly moved into an eight-point lead to ice the victory. Calhoun described the scramble as "pressing running jumping" type of attack and added that he was a little unhappy about having to use it Wednesday with Harvard scouts in the stands.

"I wanted to save it for the Harvard game", he said "But we just got to a point where we had to play for the win I'm sure coach Harrison got a pretty good look."

The Huskies major objective tonight will be to force the Crimson out of its regular patterns of play. "We want to make Harvard do different things and get away from their normal game."

But Calhoun is exercising the "proceed with caution" approach when it comes to the Harvard ball club. Particularly worrysome is the bench strength of the Crimson. "They can wear you down, when they can bring in so many talented bodies," he said.