Miami Completes Undefeated Season; Beat 'Skins, 14-7, in Super Bowl VII

The Miami Dolphins became the first team in National Football League history to win all of its regular season and playoff games yesterday as it scored a convincing 14-7 victory over the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl VII.

Miami's superb zone defense which intercepted three passes, the power running of Larry Czonka, who ran for 114 yards and the pinpoint passing of Bob Griese were too much for George Allen's Redskins, as the Dolphins took a 14-0 lead into the locker room at half time and held on in the final 30 minutes for the victory.

At the outset it was the two defenses which dominated play. After a number of punt exchanges, the Dolphins finally mounted a serious drive. With one second remaining in the first quarter Griese fired a perfect strike to split receiver Howard Twilley who raced 28 yards for the score, completing a 63-yd., six play drive.

Miami quickly struck back for what appeared to be a second score, but a Griese-to-Warfield bomb was nullified by a motion penalty. Dolphin middle linebacker Nick Buoniconti set up Miami's second score on a 32-yd. interception return to the Washington 27. Tight end Jim Mandich's clutch 19-yd, catch on third down moved the ball to the Redskin two, and Jim Klick scored two plays later.

Washington appeared to come alive after the half as quarterback Bill Kilmer, unable to move his team on the ground, went to the air. Three passes, of 11, 15, and 15 moved the 'Skins to the Miami 17, but the drive stalled and a Curt Knight field goal attempt went wide.

The failure to come up with at least three points following a sustained march doomed the Redskins. The Miami defense held firm, shutting off the vaunted Washington running game and allowing the NFL offensive player of the year, running back Larry Brown, little opportunity to break into the open field.

Washington almost got back into the ballgame late in the fourth quarter when a Miami field goal attempt resulted in a bizarre score. The kick was blocked by Washington's Doug Crusan, and Garo Yepremian's desperation pass slipped into the hands of Mike Bass who raced 49 yards for the Redskins' only score.

Safety Jake Scott, who intercepted two key passes, one in the end some, was voted the game's most valuable player.