Matmen Look for Easy Victory In MIT, Maine Battle Tonight

By Richard H.p.sia

The Harvard wrestling team can rebound from last Saturday's debacle with Navy with two easy wins tonight when the Crimson grapple MIT and University of Maine in the IAB at 6 p.m.

The Engineers and Maine Black Bears, both members of a small New England college wrestling conference, consider the Harvard meet one of their season's biggest.

"I suspect Harvard will put the wood on us." MIT coach Will Chassey said yesterday. "Our team is a little down this year. We have a balanced squad of upper and lower classmen but we lack the talent Harvard has."

The only possible MIT threat will be at 158 with Engineer captain Dave Kuntz battling either John Keough or Rock Henkel of Harvard. Kuntz has lost only one match this season and is Chassey's best prospect for victory.

Crash Diet for Keough

Harvard coach John Lee is still waiting for former 190-pound heavyweight Keough to hit 158. If Keough's crash diet works, he will confront Kuntz while Henkel, the ususal starter at 158, meets Maine. Keough, a very strong grappler, should do well against Kuntz. Henkel, however, has yet to win a match for the Crimson.

A 340 pound MIT freshman, Earland Van Lift-dejude, will tackle Harvard's Carl Culig in unlimited and could pull an upset, MIT coach Chassey predicted. "He never wrestled before coming to MIT," Chassey said. "Early list fall I spotted him on the street, and needing a heavyweight, I asked him to join up. He's doing a good job for a beginner."

'No Way to Get Up'

So far, Van Lidt-dejude has a 2-2 record. Holding a brown belt in judo and formerly a high school football lineman, the MIT goliath won both his matches by pins.

"I can't say Earland's definitely going to win, but if his opponent happens to fall on his back, there's no way he's going to get up again," Chassey said.

The pecking order at the end of the meet should be Harvard, MIT and Maine. Maine has perennially fielded weak teams and cannot be counted on to pull any spectacular upsets.

Harvard coach Lee and yesterday he will shuffle the lineup to give some J.V. wrestlers experience in the varsity. Fresh man Ty Richardson should trade off duties with Carl Biello at 134 as will Mitch Silverman and Bill Haley at 126.