'Cliffe Swimmers Swamp Northeastern, Keeping Undefeated Status for Season

The Radcliffe Swim Team conducted another baptism of fire last night against Northeastern, placing first in every event of the meet.

The Northeastern swimmers--like the 'Cliffe's other challengers this season--found themselves in troubled waters from the start of the meet and never recovered.

Radcliffe's regular stars--juniors Connie Cervilla and RoAnn Coston--put in their usual record-breaking performances, and several other team members came up with "big ones."

All team members played a role in the victory. Coach Alice McCabe spotlighted performances by senior Sandy Wallace, junior Laura Lennihan, Julie Bradley and Jeannie Drew, and sophomore Jeannie Guyton among the meet's "great surprises."

Costin and Cervilla, whose performance times have shown steady downward currents all season, both reached new high water marks in their specialty races. Costin won the 200-and 100-yd. freestyle events, setting a personal record with her 58.4 second performance in the 100.

Cervilla splashed in and out of the 100-yard butterfly in a record time of 1:06.7 and put the 200-yd. medley relay out of reach with a 28.9 second split.

Wallace's 39.0 breast-stroke performance in the 200-yd medley relay "added bonus to the entire team." McCabe said. Lennihan took first individual in the 50- and 100-yd. breast-stroke races.

Drew and Guyton took firsts in the 100- and 50-yd backstroke events, each breaking previous personal records in those races. Bradley's victory came in the 50-yd freestyle.

Nancy Sato, the sophomore diver, received 163.85 points in the one meter diving competition.

Combating hardships of reading period and flu epidemics, the 'Cliffe swimmers showed enthusiasm throughout their week of preparation and during the meet. "We're just now peaking for our home invitational meet." Captain Cervilla said in the locker room last night after the romp.

Radcliffe will enter its final meet with a perfect season record. One Radcliffe swimmer, who wished to remain unidentified, said that the team was anxious for the invitational. "After this meet, we're really hurting for some competition," she said.