Letters to the Sports Editor

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I am sure that I am not alone in wishing that Douglas F. Schoen would keep his personal hatred for Bob Harrison off The Crimson sports page. Personal vendettas have no place on a sports page as outstanding as yours. Schoen's continual second-guessing of the Harvard basketball coach only demonstrates how limited Doug's knowledge of the game is. When the Boston Globe attributes Harvard's overtime loss to Northeastern to the referees and the timekeeper, but Schoen once again blames Harrison, he has simply gone too far.

I have seen a majority of Harvard's games over the past three seasons. To be sure we have blown some close ones, and no team member, including the coach is above second-guessing after a defeat like the one the Crimson suffered at the hands of Princeton two weeks ago. Unfortunately Schoen, in his blind rage has failed to note several aspects of Harvard's performances which a coach does impact.

1. Harvard's team play has been outstanding for most of this year. For the first time ever, we are consistently getting open 10-15 foot shots. We have cut down on turnovers and are far less vulnerable to the full court press.

2. The 1972-73 cagers are in better physical condition than any previous Crimson basketball unit.

3. Several Harvard players--I note especially Ken Wolfe, Jim Fitzsimmons, Marshall Sanders, and Tony Jenkins--are vastly improved basketball players over last year.

1. too, wish Harvard were in the top 20. However, I do not forget that we have seen some damn good basketball games in the I.A.B. over the past three years. Princeton in 1970-71. Oral Roberts in 1971-72, and both Holy Cross and Penn this year stand out in my memory. We never saw much before Bob Harrison came to town. Tom Stemberg '71 (Business '73)