Freshmen Cagers Lose Battle With Dartmouth Five, 84-81

By Richard H.P. Sia

Harvard's freshman basketball squad outclassed Dartmouth on Wednesday by hitting more than 50 per cent of its held goals and nabbing 47 rebounds. But it missed a few critical free throws late in the game and lost to the Big Green at Hanover 84 81.

It was frustrating say the least, but it had to be out best game of the season" Harvard coach John Harvey said yesterday Dartmouth was touch and got ahead of us but we kept knowing those big leads down.

Dartmouth never led the Crimson by more than seven points in the first half. The Crimson kept up with the Big Green's scoring demon. Adam Sutton, but the disciplined Dartmouth defense shut off the Harvard attack. Harvard trailed at the half 43-40.

Trade-off

The Crimson jumped to a quick four point lead after halftime, but Dartmouth persisted in breaking through Harvard's defense for open shots at the bucket. The teams traded off baskets for the rest of the night, with the Crimson taking occasional one point leads.

"There didn't seem to be too much difference between the teams," Harvey said. "It's just that Dartmouth was able to pull out ahead in the final minutes it's really frustrating."

Harvey added that team more improved despite the loss. "The guys know they're capable of playing good ball. They stayed in there throughout the game and moved the ball well."

Muli Hanneman (6'6") paced the Crimson with 23 points while Dartmouth's Sutton closed out the ballgame with 22 points.

Good Marks

Hanneman, Bill Kerry (6'3") and Scott Lewis (6'3") headlined the rebound department, sharing ten more rebounds than Dartmouth. Cffensively, the Crimson made only 14 turnover. "Those are good marks," Harvey said. "It was encouraging to see the team perform so well."

Harvey switched Kevin McLaughlin (6'4") from the wings to guard to keep a tall man in the forecourt. "He did a great job of playmaking for a beginner," Harvey said. "There was fine passing all around."

Harvard, now 4-4 for the season, has ten games left to play after exams. The squad faces Tuffs in Medford on February 3. and then duels tough Ivy competitors Yale and Dartmouth once more. "The hardest part of the season is yet to come," Harvey said.