Guidelines Are Set for Finding A New Dean

SEARCH:

By Dales S. Russakoff

The search for Dean Dunlop's successor is on--almost.

President Bok outlined his preliminary plans for selecting the new dean at this week's Faculty Council meeting, and Council members have already submitted nominations for the post.

Bok will not appoint a search committee to assist him, but rather will solicit suggestions from all Faculty members and consult personally with many members of the Harvard community.

The Council meeting clarified several major questions about the search--almost. Bok will appoint an acting dean to "bridge the gap" between Dunlop's departure and the appointment of his successor, if Dunlop leaves before the search is completed. In this case, Bok will not appoint himself as acting dean, as some had speculated, Finally, "the odds are extremely high" that someone from the present Harvard community will fill Dunlop's shoes.

Bok did say that he will probably appoint the acting dean this week if one is needed. Several Council members have speculated, that Bok will have to take this step.

"The whole trend of the comments at the (Faculty Council) meeting indicated that there will certainly be an acting dean, "Paul G. Bamberg Jr. '63, associate professor of Physics and a Council member said Wednesday.

No names of candidates for the post were discussed at the Council meeting. "It would have been too embarrassing," said James S. Ackerman, professor of Fine Arts and a Council member. "Too many Council members are potential candidates."

The search will continue "as long as it takes to find the right man," Bok said, adding that he hopes to announce the permanent appointment in six or eight weeks.