Thinclads Place in Phill Run

Leone Delivers

While most Harvard athletes were breaking for exams before returning to competition in January, several Crimson trackmen traveled to the Philadelphia Track Classic Friday night, and two individuals and a relax placed at the meet.

Nick Leone, who has developed into the team's premier quarter miler, took first place in his specialty, beating a quality field in a good indoor time of 49.4. He beat Michael Black of St. Josephs by one tenth second while outdistancing such runners as Ed Roberts of the Philadelphia Pioneers and Doran Marcus of traditional track power East Tennessee State.

In the 880 Harvard captain Bob Clayton did not fare as well as expected Clayton who has already won the one half mile on the indoor track circuit, finished fifth in a relatively disappointing time of 1:57.2. The winner, Ken Sparks of the University of Chicago, took the event in 1:52.9.

The Harvard mile relay team finished Harvard's scoring. Running it very respectable 3:23.7. In nip Delaware for third in one of the numerous mile relays run at the Classic. Seton Hall won the event in 3:20.