Resolution for Peace

AS THE CRIMSON marks its Centennial today, we cannot ignore the travesty which the United States has perpetrated in Vietnam over the past decade. For over six years now. The Crimson has used this page to condemn the bombing and frontal ground attacks by American military forces against the Vietnamese people. We are saddened that it must be put to this use once more.

The American government, particularly since President Nixon's election in 1968, has veiled its operations in Vietnam with secrecy, while assuring the American people that this secrecy was necessary to further an "honorable peace," in November. Nixon used this same device to boost his candidacy for re-election. Six weeks later, he justified his political terror bombing of the North by citing the "overwhelming mandate" given him by the American people on November 6. Then, in an Associated Press interview on his 60th birthday, Nixon expressed "disappointment" that his decision to carpet-bomb the North had engendered opposition.

As President Nixon's second term begins, we can only reiterate our hope that all United States military operations in Southeast Asia will be ended immediately, and that the current round of peace talks in Paris will bring agreement on the nine-point peace plan set forth last October. Saturday night, 450 past and present editors of The Crimson, with few dissenting votes, passed the following resolution:

"To ensure a lasting peace in Indochina, we urge President Nixon to sign the October agreement immediately, to abide scrupulously by all its provisions, and to renounce publicly any subsequent military intervention in Southeast Asia." The resolution was sent to the White House on Sunday.